Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mulled Wine for the Holidays!

My phone has a great app called MDrinks that delivered to me this holiday morsel: Mulled Wine. I always wanted a good recipe for spiced wine and this one was simple, straight-forwards and easy to make. I will share it with you thus:


  • 3 cups of water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 12 cloves (whole, not ground!)
  • 1 lemon peel
  • 750ml of red wine (I used a pinot noir, 750ml is usually 1 bottle of wine)
  • 1/4 cup of Brandy (I used Christian Brothers brandy, great and affordable if you're using it to cook. Hair of the dog if you're serving it straight up.)
  1. Simmer the water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and lemon in a BIG pot (stainless steel is best) for 10 minutes. Do NOT allow to boil.
  2. After the 10 minutes, add the wine and bring up to a coffee temperature. Nice and hot! Once again, DO NOT BOIL.
  3. Add the brandy, give it a brisk stirring and SERVE.
This drink is delicious! I wish I'd shared it sooner, because it's the holidays in a glass. The wine smells strongly of cloves due to their already pungent scent, but the flavor is sweet and savory, deep and full. It's fruity, with a smooth finish and just a few glasses will have you feeling in the holiday spirit (read: jolly.) My sisters don't really like it, one commenting that it made her feel like she was "In Lord of the Rings," which only furthered my pride in the drink. My family doesn't drink much, but those who did loved it. I served the same recipe to a holiday party my friend Marty threw and it was a big hit.

Easy to make, delicious to drink and REALLY wonderful smelling, if you ever considered a great party drink during these cold days CONSIDER THIS.

Word, and Happy Holidays!

-Joe

1 comment:

ChefOtaku said...

HighFive to the mulled wine! (yes I know it's waaaaaaaay past the holidays... Just recently got the internets again.) Makes me think f the wonderful spiced wine wwe have at mah restaurant - Gluhwein. Fan-TAS-tic! Remind me to bring you a bottle next time I swing out your way. Cheers!
(it's Ace-Deuce Steve, BTW ;D )