Saturday, July 12, 2008

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum



"Where's the rum gone?" -Captain Jack Sparrow

Rum and me have had a rocky history. I went from loving the spirit as one would love a traveling companion, to considering it 4th or 5th on my choice for a fine drink. There are a plethora of classifications for rum in the rum family tree. Dark, Gold, Silver, Spiced...etc. My roommate, the unflappable John Gosling is related to the brewing family and that is our home's staple rum, thought I admit to only trying a sip or two. It's powerful stuff. I really only drink one kind of rum to date, and that's spiced Rum. Un-spiced light rum is tremendously disgusting to me in most forms. I'm going to concentrate my reflection on a particular spiced rum, and that is the classic staple of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

Spiced rum has, quite literally a spicy flavor. "DUH," I hear you cry. Well hear me out. Light rums such as Bacardi silver don't have a whole lot of body to them. They sit more like a vodka once the bite is gone: flying down the throat and working their magic. Spiced rums sit on the palate and dances for you for a while, tickling sweet and hot areas of the tongue while they're there and even for a while after they're gone. Rum is made mostly from molasses, and with the addition of a little spice they suddenly become lovely, golden mystery liquids. I prefer rums on a sunny day, out of doors maybe by water. Rum is great for poolside behavior, or water activities. It is a bit of a stereotypically tropical drink, but for a good reason. That sweet spicy flavor pairs well with hot weather, providing a damn near ethnic kick to keep the mind lucid after or during a particularly hot sunbathing session.

If you're a fan of a quick, easy to make, very sippable and sweet alternative to the cheek-puckering Jack and Coke, give Rum and Coke a shot. 1.5 to 2 oz of spiced rum over ice in a highball glass, Coke to fill. Try it out someday.

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is publicly known for its aggressive ad campaign. By this point time it's rare to find someone who hasn't had a little Captain in them. The drink is a mainstay in most collegiate drink cabinets (right next to the Jaeger. read: WOOOOOCOLLEGEOOOO!!!). The first time I had Captain Morgan it was my freshman year of college. I was reading up on mixed drinks and feeling saucy, when I ended up coming across a simple recipe for a drink called Pirate's Tea.
  • 1.5oz to 2oz of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
  • Coke-Cola to fill
  • Pulp-free Orange Juice to color
  • Garnish with lemon wedge or little-umbrella...or little sword with lemon on it, that's more piratey.
  1. Using a highball or collins glass, drop two ice cubes.
  2. Add the rum. x1.5 if you're using the collins glass.
  3. Add the Coke to just below the rim.
  4. Use the orange juice to color it a ruddy orange/brown.
The drink turned out to be incredibly delicious and easy to make. My friend Calvin and I spent many evenings drinking amaretto sours and pirate's teas, while playing Karaoke Revolution. The drink was a welcome companion through my 2nd Chicago winter.

Rum can be a very enjoyable, drinkable and affordable beverage. Sticking to the mainstream Bacardi and Captain will save you the green, but give Gosling's a shot the next time a food recipe calls for a dark rum. It's heavy body will add a savory splash of flavor.

Bottom Line: Have it around. People love this stuff, and you probably will too. Main stays: Spiced and Light rums. If you want: Dark and Premium rums. If a bunch of sissies are coming over: Malibu Coconut rum (<-- I can't stand the stuff. Too sweet. "A vice needs to taste like a vice."- Calvin Pohlhammer.)

No comments: